OSHA guidelines are often made more stringent by the “company” or by the “state” so that the company who is providing the licensing training can ensure that their employees are safe drivers of the forklift truck.
In some states you are not required to have a valid driving license in order to apply to take forklift training. However, the rules are different in the state of West Virginia as they have made it mandatory to hold a valid drivers license.
There are also some tougher theory requirements as detailed below:
Licensing & Training Requirements
- The state of West Virginia requires that you be licensed to drive an automobile in order for you to be able to drive and operate a forklift in the factory setting.
- You need to be at least 18 years of age.
- You need to complete the theory portion of the training and meet or exceed a 75% pass mark.
Note – West Virginia has a higher requirement than the federal guidelines of 70% pass mark.
- Your theory training is followed by an exam of your practical skills.
- You must drive the forklift for the person who is your trainer and show them that you possess the skills to safely operate the forklift vehicle around the environment in which you will be using it.
Forklift Re-licensing in the state of West Virginia
In addition, if you are ever involved in an accident you must recertify immediately.
In West Virginia you must also recertify every three years by taking the course and the testing again to stay appraised of changes in the fork truck regulations.
The current average salary for a forklift driver in West Virginia is $14.81 per hour or $30,830 pa. West Virginia is ranked 35th with Kentucky fairing slightly better at 34th at 14.82 per hour.
Arkansas is the lowest paid out of all 50 states – to find out more and how you compare against the other states click HERE.
If you still have questions or would like additional information about Forklift Training in West Virginia, you can contact the West Virginia Division of Labor.
Visit the Office:
Division of Labor
State Capitol Complex, #749-B
1900 Kanawha Blvd.
Charleston, WV 25305
Main Switchboard: (304) 558-7890
Main Fax: (304) 558-2273
Visit the Website: